1. The name of the Chamber is “The Fort William Chamber of Commerce”.
2. The address of the Chamber is “West Highland College UHI, An Aird, Fort William, PH33 7AN”
3. The objects for which the Chamber is established are to :
a) promote commerce, industry, trade and ancillary services in Fort William and Lochaber District
b) foster, advance and protect commercial, industrial, trade and professional enterprises in the locality and elsewhere in the UK.
c) provide and develop business services to members
d) promote and protect the collective interests of the members, and stimulate interest in, promote, support or oppose any legislation or policies (whether local, municipal, regional, national or International) affecting the interests of commerce, industry, trade or ancillary services.
e) promote high standards of business and the recognition and use of national and international standards
f) provide a means of securing business involvement in the local community or communities, to develop links between business and public authorities, to develop and foster working relationships, both within and outside the locality which will achieve the greatest prosperity for the locality and it’s people, and to stimulate public awareness of business interests
g) seek to attain all or any of the principle objects by united action with other Chambers of Commerce
4. The income of the Chamber, from wherever derived, shall be applied solely in promoting the above objects, and no distribution shall be made to it’s members in cash or otherwise.
5. If, on dissolution of the Chamber, there remains any surplus after the satisfaction of all it’s debts and liabilities, the surplus shall not be distributed among the members of the Chamber, but shall be given to some other body (whether or not it is a member of the Chamber) having objectives similar to those of the Chamber.
6. Membership of the Chamber shall be open to all business trading or with a commercial interest in the Chamber’s area :
a) individuals who are in business on their own account
b) companies, corporations, firms and other organisations engaged or interested in commerce, industry, trade and ancillary services in the public sector
c) members of professions who have an interest in in commerce, industry, trade and ancillary services in the public sector
d) any other individuals, companies, corporations, firms or other organisations in the private sector whom the Committee may in its absolute discretion admit to membership
7. The election of members shall be by Resolution of the Committee which may refuse any application without giving reasons. Delivery of the application to the Chamber shall be accompanied by the amount of the subscription to be determined by the Committee from time to time.
8. A member may terminate membership by giving notice in writing at least one month before the date on which their subscription shall next be due.
9. A member shall automatically cease to be a member if:
a) being a company it is wound up other than for the purpose of reconstruction
b) adjudicated bankrupt
c) suspending payment or compounding with creditors
d) failing to pay the prescribed subscription within three months of the due date
10 The Committee may by Majority Resolution expel any member at any time provided:
a) Not less than 14 days notice of the Resolution and the matters giving rise to the Resolution have been given to the Member concerned
b) Reasonable opportunity is given to the Member to make representations in his, her or its defence at the Committee Meeting called to consider the case
11. All subscriptions to the Chamber shall be fixed by the Committee from time to time, and shall become due and payable on such date or dates as the Committee may from time to time determine. For the purpose of fixing the subscriptions the Committee may divide members into categories and fix different rates of subscription for different categories.
12. The Chamber shall hold a general meeting in every year as its Annual General Meeting at a time and place to be determined by the Committee – not more than 15 months to elapse between two successive Annual General Meetings.
13. The Annual General Meeting shall be called by at least 14 days clear notice.
14. All general meetings, other than the Annual General Meeting shall be called General Meetings.
15. A General Meeting may be called by the Committee or at the written request of four members.
16. General Meetings shall be called by at least 14days clear notice.
17. No business shall be conducted at a General Meeting unless a quorum is present. Five persons entitled to vote upon the Business being transacted, shall be a quorum.
18. No member shall vote at any General meeting unless all monies payable by that member to the Chamber in respect of subscriptions have been paid.
19. The Committee shall consist of:
a) the Chair
b) Two Vice Chairs
c) the Immediate Past-Chair (if any)
d) up to 10 individuals elected by the Membership at large.
e) representatives of sector groups
20. The business of the Chamber shall be managed by the Committee who may exercise all the powers of the Chamber. The Committee may convene its own meetings and manage its own proceedings.
21. No member may be entitled to remuneration for his services as a member.
22. At the Annual General Meeting, a Chair shall be appointed from among the Members to serve until the next Annual General Meeting. A Chair may offer themselves for reappointment for up to three terms.
23. Likewise at the Annual General Meeting, two Vice-Chairs shall be appointed from among the Members to serve until the next Annual General Meeting. A serving Vice-Chair may offer themselves for reappointment for up to three terms.
24. In the event of a casual vacancy occurring in the office of Chair , the vacancy may be filled by the Vice-Chair, who shall hold office until the next following Annual General Meeting.
25. In the event of a casual vacancy occurring in the office of Vice- Chair, the Committee may elect one of their number to serve as Vice-Chair, who shall hold office until the next following Annual General Meeting.
26. A secretary (or Chief Executive) shall be appointed by the Committee for such term, at such remuneration and upon such conditions as it may see fit; and any individual so appointed by the Committee may be removed by the Committee. The secretary (or Chief Executive) will be responsible for ensuring that the Chambers Register of Members and all its records are properly maintained.
27. At each Annual general Meeting, if there are no vacant Committee positions then one third of the elected Committee shall retire from office by rotation, but each shall be eligible for re-election.
28. The Committee shall cause minutes to be made in books kept for that purpose of all proceedings at General Meetings of the Chamber, and of all meetings of the Committees, etc. including the names of Members present at each such meeting.
29. All minutes shall be open to inspection by any member. Minutes of the Annual General Meetings and of meetings of Committees shall be open to inspection by any member.
30. The Committee shall cause proper books of account to be maintained with respect to all monies received and expended by the Chamber and the assets and liabilities of the Chamber.
31. All books of Account shall be open to inspection by any member.
Christmas Gathering 19th December 2013, 18:00-20:00:30, Fort William High Street ... Read more